Sixty residents of a village in South Africa were rushed to hospital after eating meat from a cow that had been killed by a venomous cobra.
The victims, from Mpoza near Tsolo on the Eastern Cape, reported symptoms including diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches and stomach cramps.
It is believed they were suffering from the after effects of the snake’s deadly venom, which had settled in the animal’s flesh.
Four elderly patients who also ate meat from the contaminated corpse were transferred to Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital.
It is unclear whether any of their conditions are life threatening.
South Africa’s Eastern Cape Department of Health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said: ‘Given the mass casualty nature of the incident, St Barnabas Hospital in Libode has also been put on standby to create space for additional patients that don’t require tertiary or regional services.’